Tuesday, June 12, 2012

DIY Shampoo

I loved, loved, loved my shampoo purchase(which is my first product post on this blog), and it worked very well on my hair.  I purchased this bottle of shampoo back on January 31st, 2012, and it was delivered to me on February 2nd, 2012.  I used the last of drop of it on June 10th, 2012.  I used it every other day(but sometimes would wash a couple days in a row- just cause), and my son even used it a couple times a week, and it survived that long!  So a little over 4 months, I paid $23.93 (that included shipping) for it, and my hair loved me for it!  So it cost me about 19 cents a day to have that shampoo.  Not terrible.  But I thought, hey, why not try to make my own version!

I ordered just the "trial size" from NaturOli of Soap Nuts(cost about 3 dollars with shipping), and made a small batch last night.

First you boil about 2-3 cups of water, and then put the soap nuts(also called soap berries- with out the nut, just the shells), in a bag(they come with a cloth bag), and put it in the pot and let it boil for 15 minutes.

Remove the pot off the stove and let the whole thing cool before you remove the bag.

I read that the smell isn't that great, so I used my old shampoo bottle, and put about 9-10 drops of essential oil in the bottle(pick your favorite).  I also put a couple of drops of Jojoba Oil and about a tea spoon of olive oil and about a half a tea spoon of witch hazel extract.  The essential oils and witch hazel will help it last longer, and the oil will help soften your hair.

Pure Essential Oil French Lavender 0.5oz from Nature's Alchemy

Jojoba Oil Pure (4 oz) by Now

Bertolli Oil Extra Virgin Olive Oil 17 Oz Glass Bottle

Liquid 16 oz Witch Hazel Products

After that I used a small funnel and pored the Saponin liquid(what is released into the water from boiling the soap nuts), into the same bottle.  I shook it up, and it was done!

It will be watery, but you don't need much to clean your hair.  I just use a little, wash my scalp and rinse, then a little again to wash my hair.

My hair is still soft, and doesn't feel oily.  I still use just a "tiny" bit of conditioner to fight fly away hair.

I'm very pleased with soap nuts, and I hope you take time to try to make it yourself.

Any and all comments are welcome, and I hope you enjoyed reading my path to living a healthier life style.

No comments:

Post a Comment