Wednesday, June 6, 2012

DYI Toothpaste

Up to this point I have replaced all my shower items.  Organic Shampoo, organic conditioner, soap, and shaving products.  Then as I step out of the shower, I reach for my organic deodorant.  I have managed to avoid the chemicals that I was using on my body every day, and I feel clean and refreshed and happier about what I am doing.

The next few products that I will blog about will be the products used everyday in front of my bathroom mirror.  Toothpaste, I used at least twice a day!  I did a lot of research on toothpaste.  The last toothpaste I was using was Crest Toothpaste, whitening with Scope.  Here are the list of ingredients from it:

Crest Whitening with Scope
Active Ingredients: Sodium Fluoride 
Inactive Ingredients: Hydrated Silica , Sorbitol , Glycerin , Tetrapotassium Pyrophosphate , PEG-6 , Disodium Pyrophosphate , Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate , Flavor , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Alcohol 1.14% , Xanthan Gum , Sodium Saccaharin , Carbomer 956 , Polysorbate 80 , Sodium Benzoate , Cetylpyridinium Chloride , Benzoic Acid , Domiphen Bromide .0002 wt% , Titanium Dioxide , Blue 1 , Yellow 5

It has a lot of stuff in it that is just not good for you.  And I put this in my mouth twice a day, every day!

I started researching better alternatives to toothpaste.  There was a lady who found a kind of toothpaste made from goats milk, but she bought it from a local farmer.  After researching more, I found a way to make my own, that included only 3 ingredients.  Baking Soda, Hydrogen Peroxide, and Mint Extract!  It took me a little bit to get used to, but wow, I like it.  And my teeth have become whiter.  (what a trade off).

Use a half Cup of Baking soda, mixed with a fourth cup of Hydrogen Peroxide, and then a few drops of mint or peppermint extract or peppermint essential oil.  (I usually add more hydrogen Peroxide for a better consistency).

My first batch I used mint extract, my second batch I used the essential oil which seemed to cut the salty taste.  Extract is cheaper, but if you can find a good essential oil, it does taste better.






J.R. Watkins Peppermint All Natural Pure Extracts

Peppermint (0.5 oz) by Nature's Alchemy




My recommendation would be to make sure to keep up with dentist appointments when doing this.  I still let me son use regular toothpaste since his teeth are still forming.  I didn't get cavities till I was in my early thirties, so I don't mess with a good thing (or my sons teeth).  He has a cleaning every 6 months.  I have one every 4 because of some plaque issues and gum issues.

I have been very happy with this change(and my teeth look cleaner).

Again, any comments would be great.  Thank you again for reading and following me as I become a little more Organic every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment