Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Natural Powders

I am still trying to figure out a good homemade moisturizer for my face, and have been using straight up oils, but I want to skip that for now till I find a good remedy for that.  Oh the joys of trial and error.

So, makeup has been a part of my life since I was in Jr. High.  I was a child of the 80's!  Eyeliner, bright eye shadow, mascara, and whatever lip sticks I could get my hands on. (no, the pic is not me- but it's a good example).


As I got older, I found less was better.  I live in St. Louis, Missouri, where the summers are very hot and humid, and wearing makeup during the day is kind of silly since it just melts off your face anyway.  I thought when I was younger that freckles were a curse, but have found that they are nice on my face in the summer, and why would I cover them anyway?  :)

But when I do want to go out on the town, I still want to look put together just a little bit, but with me moving to the organic side of life, maybe putting on all the chemical filled makeup on my face seemed counter productive.  So I started searching and searching and searching for alternatives to my powder and blush.  Then I found a very simple solution that was confirmed on some other all natural blogs on a simple way to make your own face powder.  

So, if you want to just give yourself that fresh powered look, it's SO SIMPLE it's silly.  Corn Starch and Cocoa Powder.

Argo Corn Starch 16 oz. Box 24/CS
Frontier Herb 03612 Organic Dutch Cocoa Powder

And, you smell nice too!  You will need one of those powdering brushes too, but if you are like me, you already have one.  Just blend some corn starch with cocoa powder and put it in a small container with a lid, shake, and see if it's close to the color you normally use.  Fair skinned folks don't need much cocoa powder to add, but enough to give it a "tint".  And it smell WONDERFUL!

I had also heard about using cinnamon.  So I did the opposite that I did with the power, more cinnamon and less corn starch, and I have made a tint for my cheeks.  You don't need much, because cinnamon is so fine, but it works, and I smell great!
Cinnamon Powder Organic

My next goal is to use beat powder, but I am still working on that process, but for now, both these allow me to continue my make up routine, and to stay natural.

Again, thank you so much for reading.  I have come up with some new things to add to this page.  Be on the look out!  Please response or comment, love to hear them.  


2 comments:

  1. that sounds neat! I may just try that. Coconut oil is a wonderful antioxidant, moisturizer, cancer fighter and natural sunscreen.
    http://www.coconutdiet.com/skin_health.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Plant Girl. That was the other product I was going to dive into because it's that time of the year to break out the sun screen. Coconut Oil! I will look into this for sure. Thank you SO MUCH! :)

      Delete