Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mouthwash

My next post would be about lip balm or lip gloss, but I am still working on perfecting my own recipe for it.  Again, my friend Emily has her own line of lip balms at A Precious Welcome-Herbal Skincare.  She makes them in 5 great scents.

I will move on to Mouthwash!  There are tons of information about mouthwash and how they have alcohol and toxic ingredients.  For instance, Listerine is an antiseptic mouthwash, but look at the list of ingredients for it:

INGREDIENTS: Alcohol, Sorbitol, Aroma, Poloxamer 407, Benzoic acid, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium saccharin, Eucalyptol, Methyl salicylate, Thymol, Menthol, Sodium fluoride, CI 42053, CI 47005



Listerine Advanced Antiseptic Mouthwash w/Citrus Burst - 1 Liter


So I started looking into a Do It Yourself version of mouthwash.  Most of what I found directed me to a a video by Sophie Uliano, and her version of how to make a non-toxic mouthwash.  I made it and it worked wonderfully.  It is made for bad breath and are also anti bacterial.  Here are the ingredients to make your own.

1/2 cup Distilled Water
1 cup Aloe Vera Juice
2 Tbsp Baking Soda
1 Tbsp Witch Hazel Extract
20 drops Peppermint Essential Oil

Witch Hazel does contain 14% alcohol, but you are only adding a tablespoon into this mix.  You can find it at drug stores, and I was lucky enough to find it at the dollar store, for $1!  



I was stuck on the Aloe Vera Juice, and yes, you can purchase it at Trader Joes,  or even Walmart for about 8 bucks, but I thought, hey, why can't I make my own?  So I started searching for ways to make it.  I ended up spending about 70 cents on an aloe vera leaf at my local international grocery store.  I cut up the leaf(pulling just the gel out), and put it in distilled water in my refrigerator over night.  I did read up that you can boil it and make it quicker this way, but that kills the "good stuff" in the plant, so I went for this option.  


Once you put these ingredients together(in a used empty bottle of mouthwash- or a container you can seal), store in your refrigerator and it will last since it has the witch hazel and essential oil in it.

It lasted me a month, and my fiance LOVED the fact that I didn't taste like chemically mouthwash at night.

I have posted the video on how to make this on my NEW Facebook page at
Becoming Organic- My Inner Hippie Facebook Page

If you "Like" this, go ahead and like my page.  I will update more info about information I find.

Thank you again for reading, and I look forward to any and all comments.








No comments:

Post a Comment