Friday, March 9, 2012

Shampoo Change

About two months ago I was sitting in my living room with my friends, one who is a hairdresser, for Sunday ritual(watching a bad B movie and eating dinner).  He had just finished cutting my friends hair, who has a mane that is to die for(curly and kind of red).  They started talking about products and how most shampoos have terrible things in them that dry out your hair.  I didn't make a comment, I just continued to watch t.v., but I listened.

The next few days I researched, and researched and researched the Internet, trying to find out the facts on shampoo.  I'm still a little confused by it because of all the advertisements that appear when you TRY to look this stuff up, but it became quite clear that the problem with shampoo is the chemical that makes your shampoo have suds.  It's the same chemical that is used to clean car engines(found this over and over on the Internet).  But then I also found that most hair products also have alcohol, which dries out, um, anything.  I finally found a shampoo, that seemed to be the most organic, and I bought it.  Yes, I bought a shampoo that costs 19 dollars. I know, my inner cheap skate got a little angry too, but OM Gosh does it work!  The Shampoo is called NaturOli, Soap Nut Shampoo(which uses Soap Berries).



Here is my pic(notice the awful conditioner I was still using when I first got it).

Everything I read said that you don't need conditioner when using this shampoo.  That might be ok with some peoples hair, but oh so not mine.  My hair becomes fly away, so I continued to use the same awful conditioner for a few weeks.  I could so tell a difference. My hair felt softer. I couldn't keep my hands out of my hair.  I was no longer stripping it!  My hair is naturally oily, and because I'm not longer stripping all the oil out, my head is not trying to over produce oil to compensate.

You do have to wash your hair twice, but you don't have to use so much of it, and so it "should" last longer.  I'm not half way through my first bottle yet, and I have had it for over a month(I do wash my hair every day).

Directions to use:  Use a small nickle size dab on wet hair and wash your scalp.  It will not suds the first time, but you are only focusing on your scalp.  Rinse then use a slightly larger dad on your rinsed hair and wash your hair.  It WILL suds.  And then rinse.  Use a conditioner if you have fly away hair like I do. Or experiment and don't(I also did this, and yes, I need conditioner).

Best thing is that since there are no chemicals, if you get a trickle in your eye(which I have a habit with shampoo), it won't burn for 10 minutes.  I let my son use this stuff, and he hasn't screamed for a towel to get the shampoo out of his eyes since he started using it.

I will end here for the shampoo portion of my blog.  I will post next week about the next product I replaced.  I want to try to make my own shampoo, but it might be a bit. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
Your Inner Hippie!

No comments:

Post a Comment